Friday, November 1, 2013

Mass For Shut-Ins

I've read a lot of books and could tell you things you never knew, especially about places you've personally and previously live in. That's a small jab at the kid who was in junior Olympics judo or whatever and tried correcting that girl on the climate/weather in Washington that one day. Sorry if that's petty of me, but that guy seems to hold his opinion abnormally high and should consider taking a nap some time. Anyway, here's what I wrote in class: I'm not sure of a work of literature that has made a noticeable impact on me. Honestly haven't read as much as I would of liked to in the last three years, and that's disappointing now that I think of it. All of the last few that I read in AP English my last two years of high school were pretty interesting and fantastic though. Most people didn't read at all, or read a few pages then sparknote'd and wrote the summary off as stupid, but I typically enjoyed whatever weird story I ended up reading. Well, not all of them were that obscure, except Crime & Punishment (still great), but I guess I felt weird for liking the them. Crime and Punishment, Atlas Shrugged, Gulliver's Travels, 1984, and the Grapes of Wrath being the books I read in class. Dunno why I feel the need to explain that, or this sentence itself either. Free writing is a whimsical thing. I also reread the first three books in the Harry Potter series and started reading Red Dragon, the first book in the Hannibal Lectar series, but that was of my own doing. Red Dragon is really dark and the detail is more than likely sickening to some but I'm not very affected by it. I love how the author describes it. That's something odd that I think I get from my mom. She loves horror movies so I guess after watching so much gory cheese, it's somehow refreshing to to read details that make you cringe or would look ridiculous recreated on screen. Not like I love murder or immense violence, though. I just have a fascination with detail and words to a certain extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment