Monday, December 2, 2013

It's Late and I'm Watching Movies

I solemnly swear that I am up to no good. It's three in the morning and I am watching Harry Potter. I started reading the series again over the summer but lost time and stopped at some point. The books are always so much more interesting than the movies. Something about words and imagination are much more powerful than their visual/live-action interpretations and I truly believe that. I say truly because I feel like it's because a lame trend among people to consider books superior to movies, kind of like how the internet started the idolization of pizza, cats, and being "introverted" the last few years. I wish I hadn't stopped reading those books, and I wish my chinchillas hadn't chewed them up. They either despise J.K. Rowling or, more than likely, love paper. I love that woman, though. Especially for releasing an acclaimed book under a pseudonym. I question whether or not it's praised because of the hoopla surrounding the reveal of it turning out to be good, but choose to believe it's something of merit since everyone hated Garth Brooks as Chris Gaines. One of my teachers in high school told me that my name sounded like a character that existed in the Hogwarts universe and that's kind of stayed with me since then. Few people have told me my name was interesting in a similar respect, but to hear Harry Potter worthy was unbelievably more interesting. Maybe unbelievable is a stretch, but still. It tickled my fancy. Maybe we can consider this entry as an open letter to J.K. Rowling, and as an offer of my name and likeliness for her to use in writing another book of wizardry. Mrs. Rowling, if you ever stumble upon this garbage piece of writing, I would like you to know that I would like to be place in Ravenclaw. I do not require a sorting hat event, or even much back story or character depth. The sheer mention of my name a handful of times and my character not having any points deducted from my House would undoubtedly be enough. You are a sweet woman, I love you, be safe and have fun. Keep writing books for me to read then struggle to find time to revisit.
-With much sincerity and gratitude, Alexander Nethercot of Ravenclaw

p.s. I hope you end open letters in that way

No comments:

Post a Comment